INDICATORS OF SUCCESS
Increased awareness of contemporary risks associated with asbestos
- Develop a single source / portal of truth accessible in various ways by the community, industry and government.
- Raise awareness of asbestos related risks to change behaviour, particularly in the areas of apprentices and home renovators.
- Research and review of top ranking asbestos content websites in Australia.
- Asbestos awareness benchmark survey and report.
- Developed an asbestos information kit for local councils.
- Published a set of fact sheets on www.asbestos.vic.gov.au.
- Launched an awareness campaign targeting DIY home renovators in November 2020 including hosting a webinar.
- Ran a second webinar in conjunction with WorkSafe Victoria in November 2020.
- Compared findings of 2020 Asbestos awareness survey with 2019 survey. View here
- Arranged translation of fact sheets into other languages.
- Conducted community face-to-face engagement activities in Traralgon and Morwell (other planned locations paused due to Covid restrictions).
- Produced a video aimed at DIY Home renovators to raise awareness of the risks of asbestos exposure when renovating. View here
- Plan a year-round campaign for asbestos awareness activities in COVID environment. Ongoing
- Coordinate publication of translated asbestos fact sheets on www.asbestos.vic.gov.au
- Deliver an awareness campaign in Gippsland featuring the “Breathtaking Renovations” video.
- Review other official websites and provide advice on updating asbestos information.
- Conduct the third annual Asbestos Awareness survey and compare findings with previous results.
More accessible disposal methods
- Ensure that the safe disposal of asbestos is cost effective and that cost is not a barrier to the appropriate disposal of asbestos waste.
Stay informed and contribute to Sustainability Victoria’s Asbestos Disposal Management Plan as appropriate
- Research study and development of new model to estimate volume of residential legacy asbestos. (view here)
- Interviews with licensed asbestos removalists to understand supply chain and identify any barriers and/or concerns.
- Documented asbestos disposal steps for each local council on the taskforce and produced tailored fact sheets, now available on council websites.
- Research study into volumes of legacy asbestos in the commercial sector.
- Review asbestos management models used in other jurisdictions.
- Review costs associated with asbestos disposal and ways in which these can be minimised.
- Investigate how waste facilities can record the volume of asbestos being received.
- Develop a clear understanding of community expectations about asbestos management and disposal in the Latrobe Valley.
Clear understanding of the regulatory arrangements and responsibilities
- Identify appropriate regulations for management and disposal of domestic and industrial asbestos.
Increase awareness of the contemporary risks of asbestos exposure across whole of government.
- Mapping of all regulations relating to asbestos in Victoria across a number of government portfolios.
- Made a submission to the 2020 Residential Regulations review.
- Made a set of four key recommendations to the Minister in November 2020 (view here)
- Review other non-regulatory areas in which changes can be made to reduce the risks of asbestos exposure for all Victorians.
Research / build evidence base and government pathway to view asbestos as a health priority.
Increased response to illegal asbestos activity
- Develop and implement a joint compliance and enforcement strategy for the management of asbestos targeting government and non -government building and demolition contractors, the do-it-yourself industry and other community management aspects of asbestos such as illegal dumping.
- Held separate forum with local council officers to hear and learn about asbestos issues from the local government perspective.
- Writing up of case study of WorkSafe’s successful Dec 2020 prosecution of non-licensed removal on a domestic property.
- Further consultation with community to develop and test the complaints/enquiries flow chart.