INDICATORS OF SUCCESS
Increased awareness of contemporary risks associated with asbestos
- Develop a single source / portal of truth accessible in various ways by the community, industry and government.
- Raise awareness of asbestos related risks to change behaviour, particularly in the areas of apprentices and home renovators.
- Research and review of top ranking asbestos content websites in Australia.
- Asbestos awareness benchmark survey and report.
- Developed an asbestos information kit for local councils.
- Published a set of fact sheets on www.asbestos.vic.gov.au including translation into other languages.
- Launched an awareness campaign targeting DIY home renovators in November 2020 including hosting a webinar.
- Ran a second webinar in conjunction with WorkSafe Victoria in November 2020.
- Compared findings of 2020 Asbestos awareness survey with 2019 survey.(view here)
- Arranged translation of fact sheets into other languages and coordinated publication of these on www.asbestos.vic.gov.au
- Conducted community face-to-face engagement activities in Traralgon and Morwell (other planned locations paused due to Covid restrictions).
- Produced a video aimed at DIY Home renovators to raise awareness of the risks of asbestos exposure when renovating. (view here)
- Delivered an awareness campaign in Gippsland featuring the “Breathtaking Renovations” video including broadcast of a 30-second television commercial.
- Reviewed other official government websites and provided advice on updating asbestos information.
- Conducted the third annual Asbestos Awareness survey and compared findings with previous results. (view here)
- Presenting at a free webinar hosted by the Asbestos Council of Victoria/GARDS during National Asbestos Awareness week (22 – 28 November 2021).
- Developed a new fact sheet for business owners and managers about asbetsos in the workplace and their legal responsibilities. (view here)
- Produced a 3D model house to use as an engagement tool to talk to community members about where asbestos could be found in the home.
- Conducted community face-to-face engagement at Farm World 24-27 March 2022.
- Review the Asbestos Victoria website and suggest improvements to ensure information is accessible to the community.
- Seek community feedback on the Who Does What in Asbestos matrix to improve where possible.
- Develop a new fact sheet for homeowners engaging contractors to help them understand who is legally allowed to undertake asbestos removal.
- Continue to utilise the Breathtaking Renovations home renovation show parody video to increase awareness of the risks of DIY home renovation/maintenance activities in homes built before 1990.
- Ensure that the safe disposal of asbestos is cost effective and that cost is not a barrier to the appropriate disposal of asbestos waste.
- Stay informed and contribute to Sustainability Victoria’s Asbestos Disposal Management Plan as appropriate
- Research study and development of new model to estimate volume of residential legacy asbestos. (view here)
- Interviews with licensed asbestos removalists to understand supply chain and identify any barriers and/or concerns.
- Documented asbestos disposal steps for each local council on the taskforce and produced tailored fact sheets, now available on council websites.
- Research study into volumes of legacy asbestos in the non-residential (commercial) sector. (view here)
- Review asbestos management models used in other jurisdictions.
- Review costs associated with asbestos disposal and ways in which these can be minimised.
- Investigate how waste facilities can record the volume of asbestos being received.
- Develop a clear understanding of community expectations about asbestos management and disposal in the Latrobe Valley.
- Identify appropriate regulations for management and disposal of domestic and industrial asbestos.
- Increase awareness of the contemporary risks of asbestos exposure across whole of government.
- Mapping of all regulations relating to asbestos in Victoria across a number of government portfolios.
- Made a submission to the 2020 Residential Regulations review.
- Made a set of four key recommendations to the Minister in November 2020 (view here).
- Made a submission to the national consultation paper on asbestos safety training for workers entering trades December 2021.
- Review other non-regulatory areas in which changes can be made to reduce the risks of asbestos exposure for all Victorians.
- Research / build evidence base and government pathway to view asbestos as a health priority.
- Conduct a joint compliance and enforcement review of the management of asbestos targeting government and non -government building and demolition contractors, the do-it-yourself industry and other community management aspects of asbestos such as illegal dumping.
- Held separate forum with local council officers to hear and learn about asbestos issues from the local government perspective.
- Publication of the “Who Does What in Asbestos” community matrix.
- Writing up of case study of WorkSafe’s successful Dec 2020 prosecution of non-licensed removal on a domestic property.
- Further consultation with community to enhance the “Who Does What in Asbestos” community matrix.
- Seek data on illegal dumping and related clean-up costs imposed on local councils and government agencies.